Violations of the New York Code of Professional Responsibility
New York attorneys are held to a code of legal ethics when it comes to their professional conduct and the way in which they handle their client's cases. Failure to comply with this code of ethics is considered attorney negligence and could lead to a legal malpractice claim for a client who suffered financial damages because of their lawyer's incompetence. The New York Code of Professional Responsibility requires a lawyer to:
- Assist in maintaining the integrity and competence of the legal profession
- Assist the legal profession in fulfilling its duty to make legal counsel available
- Assist in preventing the unauthorized practice of law
- Preserve the confidences and secrets of a client
- Exercise independent professional judgment on behalf of a client
- Represent a client competently
- Represent a client zealously within the bounds of the law
- Assist in improving the legal system
- Avoid even the appearance of professional impropriety
The failure to comply with the Code of Professional Responsibility could result in a legal malpractice case. Damages resulting from a breach of the duties imposed on attorneys by Code should be compensated and the victim made whole.
Retain a Legal Malpractice Attorney in New York, NY
Contact the lawyer from the Law Offices of Ronald C. Burke, Esq. (212-808-8008) right away if your lawyer has handled your case negligently and caused you financial damage. Our firm has recovered millions for clients in legal and medical malpractice cases of all kinds. We focus on providing thorough investigation and representation, striving to be fully prepared from the very beginning so that we achieve the best possible results for each case. Call today or fill out our free online case evaluation form to hire a New York legal malpractice attorney from our firm. We can help!